GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has entered into a take-over agreement to fully acquire Cellzome, a manufacturer of proteomics technologies, for £61m in cash.
GSK took an initial 19.98% stake in Cellzome in 2008 and will now purchase the remaining 80.02% shares in the company.
Cellzome's proteomics technologies can be used throughout drug discovery, from screening to selective profiling of compounds in different cells and also in patient samples.
GSK senior vice president for platform and technology science John Baldoni said: "The acquisition of Cellzome adds significantly to our scientific capabilities and capacity to characterise drug targets and provides the opportunity to further enhance GSK's ability to bring medicines to patients in a more effective manner."
The two companies are currently collaborating on two early stage trials of immune-inflammation therapies using Cellzome's technologies.
With the acquisition, GSK says these technologies can be used across its entire portfolio.
Cellzome CEO Tim Edwards said: "We are pleased to announce this transaction, which will enable GSK to progress the technologies that we have been developing for more than a decade.
"This follows nearly four years of successful collaboration with GSK, during which time we demonstrated the value and breadth of the Cellzome platform for drug discovery," added Edwards.
The acquisition marks GSK's third platform technology purchase since 2007. The company has already acquired Domantis, a developer of antibody therapies, and Praecis, a US-based company which has created therapeutic programmes and a chemical-synthesis and screening technology.
Images: Cellzome's proteomics technologies will enable GSK to improve its drug discovery processes. Image courtesy of: GSK.