With over 40 years in the service business, Alkermes Contract Pharma Services, as part of...
Alkermes and Elan Corporation have announced the execution of a definitive agreement under which Alkermes will merge with Elan Drug Technologies (EDT), the profitable, world-class drug formulation and manufacturing business unit of Elan, in a cash and stock transaction currently valued at approximately $960m. Alkermes and EDT will be combined under a new holding company incorporated in Ireland. This newly created company will be named Alkermes plc.
The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to cash earnings and accelerates Alkermes’ path to building a sustainably profitable biopharmaceutical company with expertise in developing treatments for central nervous system (CNS) diseases and a broad, diversified portfolio of products and pipeline based on proprietary science and technologies. Alkermes plc will have diverse revenue streams from 25 commercialized products, with future near-term growth expected to be driven by five major products: RISPERDAL® CONSTA®, INVEGA® SUSTENNA®, AMPYRA®, VIVITROL® and BYDUREON™. The combined company is expected to have growing product, royalty and manufacturing revenues in excess of $450m annually and resources to prudently invest in an innovative pipeline of proprietary drugs.
“The merger will be financially transformative and create a profitable, global biopharmaceutical company with a diversified CNS product portfolio and a strong foundation for growth,” stated Richard Pops, chief executive officer of Alkermes. “Both companies have a proven track record as innovators. This merger will bring the scale and resources for strategic and balanced investment across the whole product continuum, from R&D innovation to clinical development, to world-class manufacturing and commercial expansion. We’re looking forward to working with the EDT team to accelerate growth and to create value for our shareholders and the patients we serve.”
Kelly Martin, chief executive officer of Elan, commented: “Upon closing, this transaction aggressively advances a number of long-standing strategic and financial objectives for Elan. Namely, it enables us to reduce the debt on our balance sheet and further improve our capital structure, increases operating leverage, allows for additional focus and continued disciplined investment in a broad array of opportunities within the neurology space from a scientific, clinical and product point of view and, lastly, provides Elan shareholders with the opportunity to realize further value – overtime – from the equity position in Alkermes plc.”
“The combination of Alkermes and EDT is a strong strategic fit at the right time when both businesses are strong and positioned for growth. With EDT’s two recently approved drugs, INVEGA SUSTENNA and AMPYRA, driving revenue growth, the EDT business is an ideal complement to Alkermes’ portfolio of approved and development-stage drugs,” stated Shane Cooke, executive vice president and head of EDT. “This combination creates opportunities for our employees and provides a platform for future growth.”
Strategic and financial benefits of the transaction
Alkermes plc will have the following strengths:
- Immediate profitability on a cash earnings basis and diversified, growing revenues from 25 commercial products
- Robust revenue growth with expected Adjusted EBITDA1 margin expansion
- Five high-growth commercial products (RISPERDAL CONSTA, INVEGA SUSTENNA, AMPYRA, VIVITROL and BYDUREON), all with long patent lives and significant growth potential in large therapeutic areas. In particular, two of these products, RISPERDAL CONSTA and INVEGA SUSTENNA, both commercialized by Johnson & Johnson, represent two very important long-acting injectable atypical antipsychotic medications for schizophrenia and bipolar I disorder
- A strong, CNS-focused pipeline of proprietary and partnered product candidates in clinical development, including several late-stage proprietary product candidates
- Complementary new drug development capabilities that leverage proprietary science and innovative medicinal chemistry capabilities. Proprietary technologies include EDT’s NanoCrystal® technology for poorly water soluble drug compounds; EDT’s proprietary technologies for oral controlled release drugs and Alkermes’ long-acting injectable drug technologies
- GMP manufacturing facilities in Wilmington, Ohio, Gainesville, Ga., and Athlone, Ireland, with world-class capabilities for producing complex drug products
With Alkermes Contract Pharma Services, you have the opportunity to outsource your development, scale-up and...
2012 will be regarded by many commentators as one of the most challenging years in...
Alkermes plc has announced the establishment of its corporate operations in Ireland, with new headquarters...