The US pharma industry saw a drop of 22.2% in overall deal activity during July 2019, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 63 deals worth $1.39bn were announced in July 2019, compared to the 12-month average of 81 deals.
Venture financing was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 47 deals which accounted for 74.6% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 11 deals, followed by private equity with five transactions, respectively accounting for 17.5% and 7.9% of overall deal activity in the country’s pharma industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, venture financing was the leading deal category in the US pharma industry with total deals worth $1.19bn, while M&A and private equity deals totalled $125m and $70.65m, respectively.
US pharma industry deals in July 2019: Top deals
The top five pharma industry deals accounted for 48.9% of the overall value during July 2019.
The combined value of the top five pharma deals stood at $678m, against the overall value of $1.39bn recorded for the month.
The top five pharma industry deals of July 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Fujifilm Cellular Dynamics, Leaps by Bayer and Versant Venture Management’s $250m venture financing of Century Therapeutics
2) The $121m venture financing of Recursion Pharmaceuticals by AME Cloud Ventures, Charles River Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Epic Ventures, Felicis Ventures, Intermountain Ventures, Lux Capital, Menlo Ventures, Mubadala Ventures, Obvious Ventures, Regents of the University of Minnesota, Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust, Texas Tech University System and Two Sigma Ventures
3) Arie Belldegrun, GV Management Co, John Martin, Nextech Invest, Norbert Bischofberger, Omega Fund Management, Perceptive Advisors, Polaris Partners, Invus Group and Vida Ventures’ $105m venture financing of Kronos Bio
4) The $102m venture financing of IGM Biosciences by Haldor Topsoe, Janus Henderson Investors, Redmile Group and Vivo Capital
5) Biotechnology Value Fund, Boxer Capital, Casdin Capital, Cormorant Capital, Deerfield ManagementLP, Fidelity Management & Research, Nextech Invest, Schroder Adveq, The Column Group, Third Rock Ventures and Vivo Capital’s venture financing of Revolution Medicines for $100m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.