GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has reportedly started selling some of its consumer health brands to raise around £1bn ($1.26bn) in preparation for its spinoff plans.

Sources told Reuters that the company’s non-core drugs have been categorised into three portfolios for the sale.

Boutique investment bank Greenhill has been appointed to market the company’s products to separate bidders. Sources said that prospective bidders received information packages earlier this week for two portfolios comprising Latin American drugs and Physiogel skincare products.

GSK is currently in preparations to merge its consumer healthcare business into a joint venture (JV) with Pfizer during the second half of this year, under an agreement signed in December last year. The new JV will have an estimated $12.7bn in annual sales.

Under the agreement, GSK will own a 68% stake in the JV, while the remaining 32% interest would be held by Pfizer. The entity will primarily focus on markets in the US and China.

Within three years of closing the agreement with Pfizer, GSK plans to demerge and float the consumer health business. If the deal is successful, the company will then split into two distinct businesses: one to focus on consumer healthcare and one to specialise in pharmaceuticals and vaccines.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

In a separate development, GSK and biotech company Valneva have decided to terminate the strategic alliance agreement that was initially agreed between their predecessor companies, Novartis and Intercell. Valneva will make a payment of €9m to GSK with immediate effect and up to a further €7m in milestones relating to marketing approvals of its Lyme vaccine.