BD Diagnostics Reagent Systems, Molecular Testing and Drug Delivery Solutions
BD is a developer and supplier of medical technologies that aim to improve drug delivery, boost quality, and increase the detection rate and treatment of diseases. It provides reagents, medical devices and instrument systems to a global client base.
BD Diagnostics advances patient recovery through its laboratories and products. Its reagent systems ensure accurate and prompt diagnosis of infections, diseases and cancers.
Molecular testing solutions
BD Diagnostics is able to provide a comprehensive range of molecular testing through its BD MAX™, which is a fully automated, bench-top molecular system.
With this versatile device, users are able to carry out user-defined protocols and CE / in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) assays simultaneously.
On the BD Viper™ XTR system, assays are available for the testing of Neisseria gonorrhea and Chlamydia trachomatis.
Assays for healthcare associated infections
BD Diagnostics provides a range of assays for advancing treatment of healthcare associated infections (HAI). BD MAX™ MRSA assay ensures the fast and accurate diagnosis of patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriage. The range includes:
- BD MAX™ MRSA XT Assay with eXTended Detection Technology provides accurate detection of the DNA from new MREJ types, MRSA strains with the novel mecC gene, and mecA dropouts in patients at risk for nasal colonization
- BD MAX™ Cdiff assay rapidly detects Clostridium difficile toxin B gene (tcdB) from patients suspected of having Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), and is intended to aid in the diagnosis of CDI
- BD MAX™ StaphSR with eXTended Detection Technology locates DNA of strains of MRSA and reduces the risk of producing a false MRSA indication
Enteric disease identification
- BD MAX™ Enteric Bacterial panel is a rapid in-vitro diagnostic test for the qualitative real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of Campylobacter spp. (jejuni and coli), Salmonella spp., Shigella spp. / Enteroinvasive E. coli (EIEC) and Shiga toxin 1 (stx1)/ Shiga toxin 2 (stx2) genes found in Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli (STEC), as well as Shigella dysenteriae
- Diagenode Enteric Viral Panel is a rapid in-vitro diagnostic test for the qualitative real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of Norovirus and Rotavirus (Europe only). Manufactured by BD partner Diagenode
- BD MAX™ Enteric Parasite panel detects three commonly isolated and highly pathogenic parasites that cause gastroenteritis: Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica, Cryptosporidium spp (C hominus and C parvum) (IVD)
Respiratory disease assays
The dual functionality of open system and CE/IVD capabilities on the BD MAX™ System enables laboratories to perform a broad range of molecular tests on a single workstation. This flexibility provides clinicians with broad information to help make critical treatment and management decisions to improve patient care.
- Diagenode Respiratory Influenza A/B assay (Europe only) quickly identifies human influenza A/B (HI.A/B), allowing for prompt treatment. It is produced by BD partner, Diagenode
- BD MAX Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae RUO assay is a research-use-only assay, designed to detect three antimicrobial resistance genes found predominantly in carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE): KPC, OXA-48, and NDM
- Diagenode Respiratory Bordetella pertussis / parapertussis real-time PCR kit is an aid for diagnosis of Pertussis (Europe only). It also enables a detection of Bordetella parapertussis in nasopharyngeal aspirates, although it should not be used for diagnostic purposes. It is also manufactured by BD partner Diagenode
Simple assay workflow
All BD MAX™ IVD assays follow the same easy workflow, consisting of adding a specimen, snapping-in reagents, loading on the instrument and beginning the run.
Development of advanced assays
Assays in development by BD include:
- BD MAX™ CT / GC / Trich (CE / IVD)
Assays being developed by BD partners include:
- Atypical pneumonia panel
- Meningitis bacterial
- Meningitis viral
About BD Diagnostics
BD has its headquarters in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US. It was established in 1897 and has a workforce of 29,000, in 50 countries all over the world. It serves healthcare organisations, life science research, clinical laboratories, and the pharmaceutical industry.